From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:40:16 -0400
Wayne and all,
     Let me take a stab at this and if I am off base the other more
experienced folks on this list will correct me.  You seem kind of vague on
the times which makes it a little difficult.  First I don’t think the total
amount of time you are talking about is enough to get the workers to start
laying especially if there were eggs and brood in the queenless chambers,
which brings me to point two.  Presumably there were some eggs and larvae
in the chamber that wound up not having a queen.  You would know.  If there
was, and the first queen you introduced died for whatever reason, then the
colony would begin raising emergency queens pretty quick if they hadn't
already.  Actually, since the queen cell was on the burr comb, that queen
probably laid that egg before she died.  Your main concern now is whether
the new queen has been accepted and starts laying.  If the workers had
started laying, your latest queen would almost surely be toast.  Check for
eggs in three or four days.  What I am not sure about is how much more
difficult it is to get a queen accepted once emergency cells have begun
being raised.

Steve Noble