Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:48:29 -0400
During the recent heat wave bees visited our neighbors pool by the dozens,
preventing the kids from enjoying a cool down at the critters expense. On a
hunch I thought perhaps if I set up the waving sprinkler where it would hit
the hives it would be of some help in deterring/supplementing the pool
water. I let it run for about ½ hour a couple of times during the day. In
the past I had put out a water  container with floats that did little good
which, by the way I expected would be the case. But in desperation sometimes
we try things reported to  be ineffective in hopes it may be disproven. Well
the sprinkler worked better than I would have dreamed. There were only a
couple of bees that visited the pool either day and for all I know may not
have been mine. I also noticed that it appeared to have no effect on the
foraging which I was concerned about.  If others on list wish try this I
would be interested in your results.

Alden Marshall

Hudson, NH