From:
PO Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:53:55 +0100
Hello Bob,

First I should explain that we managed to keep varroa away for a long
time with a zone system in Sweden. Bees were not allowed to be moved
from infected area to uninfected. This made it possible for me to stay
free of varroa until about 5 years ago. So what I see now is what you
experienced long ago.

I have cooperated with prof Ingemar Fries at Uppsala university in
some research projects. Latest involved how DWV is transfered from one
generation to the next. Not allowed to say more until Ingemar has got
it published. They are improving their tests for virus, and are now
able to detect how much virus there is in a sample. Ingemar suggested
they would test some material from me to monitor virus levels. I hope
I will have the time next summer to do a proper research project, but
I'm afraid my time will bee needed managing my bees for honey. I would
like to study if there is any way to select for bees that can handle
higher virus infections.

 > The virus trail has led to the place we are at now. Virus spore
 > contamination of comb.

Do you know of any research on this? How long DWV are active on a comb.

> When you take a large number of hives and leave untreated (Live and let die
> method) then the result is always the same. Hive of bees which is not
> prolific ARE the survivors!

Yes that's what I believe too. Those bees will not be useful for
anything other than pets. I had hoped that those on the list making
claims that they have the solution were really making progress. So far
I see no proof of it. On the contrary, by breeding for less productive
bees there is a risk they turn the clock backwards instead.

Brian_Fredericksen wrote:
> It seems like a cult like fervor of wanting to change the bee world. Its
> odd......and kind of detracts from the topics and info of interest that so
> many beekeepers engage in here.

I fully agree with this. After reading this list for near 15 years I
been close to logging off lately. But then I realized those things
come and go. We all remember the FGMO discussion. Different this time
is the amazing talent by some of the participants to mix fact and
fiction into a stew so thick even the most determent opponent
eventually gives up from exhaustion. Quite amusing sometimes... But
this list is about bee biology. Pet theory has it's own list.
Personally I would appreciate if those favoring pet theory was
considering discussing their theories on the appropriate place, and
let us here continue with what this list was created for.

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson
[log in to unmask]  http://beeman.se