Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2013 11:00:14 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I agree, wood pellets, especially a hardwood (like oak), will burn for hours and produce a very nice sweet smelling smoke.   I have kept my smoker going for 5+ hours and longer as I go from bee yard to bee yard (be sure to have a way to keep a lit smoker secure in the back of your truck).

To keep the pellets from falling out, I cut a piece of #8 hardware cloth (the same stuff used for screen bottom boards and inner covers) and put it inside side of the lid of the smoker.   It will carbon/gum up over many uses, but is easy to clean with your hive tool.

I put a layer of wood pellets in the smoker and the light a strip of burlap which I have loosely rolled up in a coil.  Once the burlap is smoldering good in the smoker, I then add wood pellets on top and the sides of the burlap.    It is good when you need your smoker lit for many, many hours.

If I only need 15 minutes or so, I just roll up a strip of cardboard and light it.    If I find I need more time, once the cardboard is getting close to being done, then  I will stuff the smoker with pine needles to keep it going (and the pine needles smell nicer than the cardboard).

If I need about 45 minutes, I just use burlap.

Steve

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2