From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 06:57:10 -0400
randy oliver wrote:

> The managed bees were quite yellow (this is a major characteristic that they
> breed for), gentle, and calm on the combs.  The ferals were darker, banded,
> bees which were much more defensive and active on the combs.

I am ready to be corrected on this, but I had the same problem that
you have in reading the studies findings. The conclusion I came to is
the bred bees are different, but the bees that are not bred through
selection are not changed from the ferals. Or, put another way, the
Laissez-faire  bees are the same as the ferals even though they were
physically separated and did not interbreed.

So what you observed is the same as the study. The key to the study
was that even thought they have been physically separated for years,
both were still the same.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine