From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2011 20:45:04 -0500
?> Can anybody point me to photos (if any exist) of bees, living or dead,
with IAPV?  Thanks!

Its hard to understand what bees with IAPV are like from a picture. A video
yes .
I have never seen either of IAPV on the net.

IAPV was found in 2004 in Israel and so named. At the same time I was in
Florida looking at virus issues and we were seeking advice from Brenda Ball
(U.K.).

All of us were interested in IAPV. We were not aware of IAPV in the U.S.
till 2006-07.

IAPV is very similar to chronic bee paralysis virus (CPBV) *in
symptoms*which I have observed first hand.

The big difference between CPBV & IAPV is that although seen in apiaries in
apparently healthy bees I have never seen CPBV spread through the yard as in
Israel IAPV is said to do. I have never seen more than a single cases at a
time in a yard and all cases are very rare .

Bailey said:( concerning CPBV)
"How paralysis spreads from bee to bee and why only isolated colonies in an
apiary are decimated by the disease are unknown"

When IAPV was being implicated in CCD many of us which had been looking at
IAPV for a couple years said are you sure? Some researchers even today
believe IAPV is simply a variation of one of two virus .

I have ran many colonies with IAPV virus but none ever showed symptoms.
However I control varroa.
IAPV virus is found in hives of Aussie bees in Australia but causes no
problems ( which helps to back up my hypothesis that if you control varroa
most virus issues never become problems although most of the bee virus can
be found in samples. No varroa in Australia.)

At least three virus were detected by Brenda Ball (U.K.) in the samples we
sent and one was CPBV.

I have followed bee research for decades and the work of virus researchers
but so far all those researchers have came up with is to name and document.

Most commercial beekeepers have only a casual interest in virus research.
Bees are exposed to virus all the time like we humans are.

On the lighter side:
Branding each bee takes enough time let alone having to inoculate each bee
to protect against virus issues!

Those beating the *virus* drum are going to have a hard time finding
research funding (just as Bailey did) as so far no realistic solution for
bee virus issues have been found except for a close watch on the vectors of
virus the mites and of course better bee nutrician, less bee stress  etc.
which can cause virus issues to flare up.

bob