From:
"Mark D. Egloff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 14:12:19 EST
     The queen I described in my previous posting was not a virgin
     queen.  The hive had not swarmed as it still "boiled" with
     bees.  IMO it was the original queen that had slimmed down in
     preparation for swarming which flew from my hive.  In the hive
     there were queen cells in their advanced stages of development,
     probably within 4-6 days of hatching.  These cells were cut and
     the hive was split, giving about half of its frames of brood to
     other splits (which were built a month ago) to bolster their
     numbers.  The remaining frames were left in the hive and empty
     drawn comb was placed in the hive to replace the brood which
     was removed.  Round sections were placed on top of this now
     single story hive.  I was trying to get sections (for the first
     time, no less.  Oh  well, I have learned a thing or three).

     I guess from the postings I have read in response to my earlier
     post that the odds are good the queen returned to the hive and
     that my actions seem to be to check to see if there are eggs in
     a few days.  If yes, continue as if nothing happened.  If not,
     I need to combine the now queenless hive with one of the splits
     I already have working, order a queen for immediate delivery,
     or add some brood with eggs to the hive.

     I will remember my "push in" cage next time.

     Thanks all,
     Mark.