From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 21:11:18 -0500

Randy said:
> Did read.  This was a review of literature--nothing new, no mounting
> evidence.  No smoking gun.

I am so glad that most beekeepers are not of your mindset.

The current August newsletter "Bee stings and Sawdust" has several pages on
the neonicotinoids.

On page 59 of the September Bee Culture Alan Harman ( author of many
beekeeping articles) explains in his own words why groups in the U.K. are
pressing to ban the neonicotinoids like in France, Germany, Italy to name a
few major beekeeping countries.

Alan points out a few  bee facts in his Sept BC article which maybe few
realize on BEE-L so will post:

" Recent mapping of the honey bee genome has revealed bees capacity to
detoxify chemicals is much lower than other insects. Instead bees have two
strategies to protect themselves. On the first day of foraging in a new
area ,scout bees are sent out first to taste the nectar and pollens- if any
are adversely effected they will bee expelled from the hive immediately and
the colony will avoid the area"

" Once foraging begins ,nurse bees in the hive clean foragers each time they
return. These strategies protect the colony from mass exposure to lethal
doses of chemicals., but they do leave the bees particularly susceptible to
sub-lethal exposures to any contaminants they encounter."

The above by Alan explains the pesticide bee kill and in my opinion.

In the first paragraph you see an explanation of the front of the hive area
full of dead bees. Also the way a hive can empty of bees when scouts do not
return. When pollen and nectar are needed first the older foragers go and do
not return. Then the first time foragers. Then nurse bees leave to find
nectar & pollen.

In the second paragraph Alan explains the bees centuries old strategy does
not work well with sub-lethal exposures.

I respect my friend Randy for his opinion (which is very similar to the
chemical company position) but
I do believe that slowly month by month we will see a higher number of
articles like the Alan Harmon piece and the August newsletter editorial
talking about the neonicotinoids

I could say:
The CCD working group has no *smoking gun* as to the cause for CCD. So
saying there is no *smoking gun* concerning the neonicotinoids  is not a big
deal in my opinion!

I can say with confidence that the CCD working group has amassed evidence
which points to many things. I can also say with conviction we have a great
deal more evidence as to the neonicotinoids harming bees than we did a year
ago or two years ago.

No smoking gun however on CCD or the neonicotinoids.

bob