From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2015 10:19:38 +0100
>  I seem to recall someone from Britain posting that oilseed
rape had to be sprayed after planting.  I am not that surprised by
that.

I do not know about corn in the UK, but it is worth noting that the oilseed rape that flowered last spring here was mainly planted in the autumn of 2013, i.e. before the ban on neonicotinoids came into effect.  However, in my area it was hardly worked by the bees at all as the weather was cool and very windy when it flowered so it was probably mainly wind pollinated; by the time that the bees were able to get working it had mainly gone over.  There is also speculation that some varieties of rape are not worked by bees, but whether this is due to the variety, the weather, or repellent effects of neonicotinoids seems unclear at present.  One thing is certain, I have had far less rape honey since the neonicotinoids were introduced.  We need some answers!
Much of our honey last year was still liquid at Christmas, whereas with rape it is solid in a matter of days.

The rape that was planted in the autumn of 2014 was not (should not have been!) treated with neonicotinoids and we have had warnings of doom and gloom from the farmers (but they still planted it!).  True it did not look good through the winter - but that is often the case, particularly if there is pigeon damage; however, most of it seems to have recovered and actually looks good to me - although it has been held back by a very cold spring.

It will be very interesting to see what crops we - and the farmers - get from it this year.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W