From:
Robert MacKimmie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2018 01:13:19 -0800
Hi John,

Please, please submit your photos to John Hafernik at ZombeeWatch.org!

Yours is the first ‘in-hive’ parasitism that we’ve seen. Brian Brown at LA Museum of Natural History is the Phorid expert, so John can consult with him to see if it is indeed Apocephalus borealis.

A jump to in-hive parasitism is something we have long feared, and could foretell major disaster for us all.

There are other types of Phorids, as mentioned in several emails, which appear in connection with biological mortality, and are not A. borealis. I don’t have the knowledge required to identify, but Brian Brown will know.

Thanks for being observant!

Robert MacKimmie
citybees.com

Robert MacKimmie