From:
Kevin Gibbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:47:06 +1300
> Are you sure it is the fungicide that is killing the bees?

No I'm not sure but strongly suspect the fungicide.

>There is a
> published paper from New Zealand that shows that wetting agents will kill
> bees.  So if they are putting wetting agent in the fungicide that could be
> the problem.

I'm sure it is not wetting agent related. I have read Mark Goodwin and H
McBrydie's
surfactant report at
http://www.hortnet.co.nz/publications/nzpps/proceedings/00/00_230.pdf
I understand that soap is a surfactant too which is why it is so effective
at killing unwanted bees (in buildings etc). And also that surfactant kills
immediately by asphyxiation at the flowers, not at hive entrance.

Grower 1 used Bond Extra as the sticker (aka surfactant and wetting agent)
and
I first thought this was the problem so sent him a copy of the report and
asked him to not use any stickers. He sprayed the following week without any
stickers and got a
good kill again so stopped spraying.

Grower 2 sprayed at 4:00 am (the same day grower 1 sprayed
without a sticker) used no sticker and got a good kill.
These two growers agreed to stop spraying and the kills stopped.
For this reason I suspect the fungicides themselves. By shear coincidence
there MAY have been other sprays applied in the same area, but the kills did
stop.
My next move was to have been placing a cage with a few bees directly by the
flowers as the sprayer passed but we never had to take this action. Maybe
someone on the list will have a chance to do this in Almonds and if any
growers do not use stickers and report back to us. Remenber if stickers are
applied to bees, they die.

Perhaps this explains why some products do not require bee kill
warnings...........
Quote from the above surfactant report
EFFECT OF SURFACTANTS ON HONEY BEE SURVIVAL

R.M. GOODWIN and H.M. McBRYDIE

"As surfactants are not classed as

pesticides they are usually not required to be registered and carry honey
bee (Apis

mellifera L.) warning labels."

Could it be that fungicides too do not require warnings as they are not
classed as pesticides?

Kevin Gibbs

New Zealand