From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:08:00 -0500
Dave Cushman wrote:
> Most commendable!, but I did not notice any beekeeping titles.
>
> Why were so many titles removed?

It's not that so many titles were removed, it's that beekeeping titles have
never been added!  I'm working from memory here (always dangerous), but I
think it runs an average of about $200 per book to digitize (Mike will
correct me if I'm wrong).  Most beekeeping books have yet to be scanned.

I believe the impetus for this project is a spinoff of having the Phillips
library on display at the Eastern Apicultural Society of North America, Inc.
conference held at Cornell last summer.  When Mike presented the project to
the EAS board last fall, the first $200 was donated, with a recommendation
that the digitization start with Langstroth's original manuscript (or
perhaps it was the first publication of his manuscripts, which were
transcribed by Langstroth's wife; Langstroth should have been a physician
his handwriting was so bad!).  Additionally, EAS committed to match the
first $1000 donated towards the project.  Who says EAS are cheap bastards!?
SO if you're inclined, send you dollars!

I wish to make a gift of $________________ to Mann Library's Beekeeping
Literature Online initiative.

Name________________________________________________

Address____________________________________ City_______________________State
& Zip___________

Please makes checks payable to Cornell University. Please return check and
form to the Albert R. Mann Library, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
14853-4301. Thank you very much for your support!

Following is an excerpt from the Empire State Honey Producers Association
(hosts of the EAS 2002 conference ) fall 2002 newsletter:
"As Mike stated in his retrospect, one of the high points of EAS 2002 was
the opportunity to view the EF Phillips rare book collection at the Mann
Library.  One simply cannot describe the exhilarating thrill  of handling LL
Langstroth's original hand written manuscripts!  Wearing white cotton
gloves, I was able to read Langstroth's "Eureka" moment where he wrote of
his realization of "bee space".  Ironically, this revelation came to him in
November.  What a long winter of anticipation it must have been waiting to
put his idea to practical use!

Unfortunately, Langstroth's handwriting was of physician caliber and most of
his writings are nearly illegible.  It was Langstroth's wife who deciphered
the manuscripts for the first edition of Langstroth on the Hive and the
Honey Bee.

Also on display were original works by Moses Quinby, CC Miller and other
beekeeping masters!  It was truly an opportunity of a lifetime!"

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!

BEE-L has no "Frequently Asked Questions",
but any topic can be reviewed by searching
the  archives.  The archives are the FAQ!
BEE-L archives can be searched at:
 http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l