From:
Patrick O'Hearn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:03:46 -0600
        Hello to the list,
        I have to admit that I am somewhat hesitant to leap in here, being
one of the "quoted" "experts" on the Gormanston panel.  I think that the use
of the term expert goes to the old adage that one becomes more an expert the
further one goes from  home.  I am just a poor, humble, somewhat opinionated
New Mexico beekeeper <g> who happens to have family and good friends in
Ireland.  This has given me a good excuse to attend the Gormanston meeting
for the past several years and the good fortune to meet and make friends
with beekeepers from Ireland, England, Wales, Belgium, the Isle of Mann and
several other countries I probably have forgotten to mention.  As the list
knows, Varroa was first found in Ireland this year and, understandably, the
Irish beekeepers were, to a person, very interested in other countries
experiences with Varroa and what could be expected when the mite took up
permanent residence on the island.

        I was asked, along with beekeepers from Belgium, and England to talk
about our direct experiences with the mite AS BEEKEEPERS, not as scientists,
or as experts.  All of us have had to deal with Varroa for a number of years
and the Gormanston organizers thought our experiences would be of value to
beekeepers that have never had to deal with the mite.  I think Madeleine Pym
did a good job in summarizing the tone of the discussion and I appreciate
her concise and accurate summary of what was said from the audiences point
of view (yes Allen, she was there and there really is a Madeleine Pym
<g>...unless I too am a figment of the internets imagination...hmm).

        Anyway, the point of whatever was said about the internet was that
there are a lot of home remedies for Varroa being bandied about which may or
may not be effective and may or may not be "snake oil".  Bayvarol does work
(for now) and the Irish beekeeper should use it first until they get enough
experience with the mite to decide if they want to experiment with
alternative treatments or not.

        I could not stand up anywhere and say  "Ignore the internet".  I
read the list regularly and enjoy visiting web sites on a variety of
interests.  That said I think it is always important to remember that
Sturgeons Law applies to the internet as well.  Sturgeons law states that
"95% of everything is crap" (actually I think he said 90% but I have gotten
cynical in my old age).  This list, the internet, newspapers, personal
conversations, in fact, everything but television (which is 100% crap) is
subject to the law.  The internet is a global conversation and, like face to
face conversation is mostly repetition, filler, stock phrases, and chatting
surrounding a few nuggets of information.  (Before the flames start, I am
very much aware that the Law applies to me as well as thee).  The nets
strength is also its weakness.  It is unmoderated and unfiltered and allows
any of us to broadcast our opinions around the globe.  It allows that
dissemination of ideas unfiltered by the "establishment" that Adrian Wenner
is so fond of but it also allows anyone to put any string of words together
and represent them as unvarnished truth.

        What we were trying to get through to the audience is that, in the
subtropics at least, if you do not effectively deal with Varroa, you will
not have any bees to keep.  It is hard enough to learn to manage the pest
even with proven effective treatments during the first couple of seasons
without being confused by the number of alternative internet remedies that
may or may not work.

        I will now step down off my soap box but, prior to dragging it home,
I would like to recommend the Federation of Irish Beekeepers meeting at
Gormanston to any beekeeper that wants a great time and the ability to meet
and interact with some of the nicest, friendliest, interested, and
interesting beekeepers in the world.

        Patrick M. O'Hearn
        Bears Choice Honey
        Bloomfield, New Mexico