From:
Wayne Pitts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 May 2009 22:17:55 -0700
Randy,

"I personally started with paraffin and gum rosin, since that was the way
someone else had done it.  I've never experimented with paraffin alone.  Can
anyone tell me what the purpose of the rosin is--I'm not asking for guesses,
but for knowledgeable answers."

Having seen your bee boxes, I've often wondered 'why rosin?'.  A Google
Books search returned an engineering book on Waterproofing;  "Waterproofing
engineering for engineers, architects, builders, roofers and waterproofers"
by Joseph Ross Published by John Wiley & sons, inc., 1919

Page 151 describes resin (rosin) as being a chemical waterproofing agent,
key item of interest is a that it's insoluble in water, but soluble in
alcohol and various other solvents and oils.  It's chief use is as a binder
for other materials
Page 163 describes paraffin as a mechanical waterproofing method, also
insoluble in water. Paraffin lacks adhesiveness.

Find limb, climb out on it ....
Rosin is used as a binder to supply supplies the adhesiveness needed by
paraffin to achieve the woodenware preservative characteristics we need.

Wayne