From:
queenbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 07:24:20 +1000
>>In Apis cerana (the original host of Varroa), mite reproduction occurs
> only in the small number of sealed male (drone) honeybee brood cells.
>
> Since the recent research of Denis Anderson the word *only* does not now
> apply. Although not often Denis found varroa will move into worker cerana
> brood at times.

From my understanding of the situation, I think the operative word is
"reproduction".  As I understand it, varroa can be found in worker cells
from time to time but they cannot reproduce in the worker cells, only drones
cells.  So there is only production of more varroa when drone brood is
present.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA
Have you registered for Apimondia 2007 in Melbourne, Australia?