From:
BLANE WHITE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:52:49 CST6CDT
Tom,
Please corect me if I am wrong but it appears from your posting that
you have been sampling for varroa and tracheal mites but have not
untaken a statewide survey.  You have been sampling your queen
producers and maybe the area near them but what about the rest of the
state.  In the fall of 1988 we did a statewide survey for varroa
where we sampled some bees from nearly every beekeeper in MN (about
950 at the time) and found varroa in two small areas of the state.
My guess is that you are looking at fewer beekeepers and much less
area than we have so a reasonable survey would not be too big an
undertaking.  Some of us in watching the transshipment issue really
wonder what you are basing your claims of freedom from mites and
diseases on and have not been able to find any information on any
surveys you have done.  Without such survey information it really
appears that your opposition to the transshipment of bees is to
protect your beekeeper's market rather than any real fear of
introduction of new disease.  Conduct the surveys and then more of us
may be willing to stand with you if there is a reasonable disease
concern on the issue.
blane

Blane White
State Apiary Inspector