From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 12:03:13 -0800
At 09:35 PM 11/25/98 +1300, you wrote:
>> I gotta know - are there beekeepers (and honey bees) on the islands in the
S.
>> Pacific ????
>>   - John

Don't know the south from west but this Island is NO Virgin when it comes to
bees.

<CHRISTIANSTED, U.S. Virgin Islands (AP)> 11.21 - Though no one has yet been
stung by an Africanized bee on St. Croix, Department of Agriculture officials
are warning residents to stay away from colonies of the excitable insects.
The aggressive bees, sometimes called ``killer bees,'' have been present on
the
island since 1994, but have spread further afield in search of food since
Hurricane Georges blew away fruit blossoms and flowering plants.

``We have had a number of reports from concerned citizens and the department
has assisted some individuals to remove colonies from their premises,'' said
Errol Chichester, a department of agriculture extension officer.

``Bee activity increases at this time of year,'' said Agriculture Commissioner
Dr. Arthur Petersen.

<end of story>

For more of this kind of beekeeing news check out the "Killer Bee & Worm
Journal" at http://beenet.com/bnews.htm

(c)Permission is given to copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)OPINIONS are not necessarily facts. USE  AT OWN RISK!