From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2010 18:06:24 -0400
"Yes, any that are clear at the bottom (no dried residue) are fine to reuse.
As your technique improves, there will be very few that don't take."

When I checked the cups in the frame, every one of them was spotless.  Wish I could clean my house that well.  So, I reused them, adding four new ones.  That was on Sunday.  Checked the frame today, when I removed the Cloake board.  I counted 17 cells being drawn out, maybe more.  It was amazing.  Remains to be seen how many make it to being capped, but that is over 4x better than my first attempt.  I attribute it to 1) becoming more comfortable with the grafting tool, and 2) proper lighting.  I noticed several references on the Net to adjustable magnifying lights, the kind that clamp onto a workbench or table.  The first time I used my OptiVisor, but relied on a little desk lamp and the light over my kitchen table.  Really hard to see into the cells.  So, not wanting to clamp anything to my kitchen table,  I ordered  a gooseneck magnifying lens with LED lights from Amazon.  For anyone, who is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Gooseneck-Magnifier-Grey-Floor-Lamp/dp/B001B13PN6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1283896038&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Wow, what a difference.  I could really see clearly all the way into each cell.  And, it operates on AC with an included adapter or on D cell batteries, so I could even use it outside, or on the porch, if so desired.  It was only $69.99 when I ordered it on Friday, and now it is $99.99, so don't know what happened there.  But, if your eyes are as bad as mine, it is a worthwhile investment, whether for grafting or for hobbies.

I still have a looong way to go, since that is barely over 50%, but from 4 to 17!  Cool!

Thanks for the tips.

Bill Greenrose
Claremont, NH
+43.35687 +43° 21’ 25”