From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 2009 10:37:21 -0600
> Many years ago I had some hives in an area with lots of Leafy Spurge and
> the bees put up some. I thought it was the worst tasting honey I ever had.
> It reminded me of cat piss, mostly the smell.

Maybe a label with "Pure Leafy Spurge" might create a new product. When
dealt lemons make lemonade? Leafy Spurge Mead?

I will say bakers will accept Leafy Spurge honey and the smell leaves quite
a bit when heated (as will most  Goldenrod and Aster honey) and with
blending will sell.

I do not have a jar of smartweed honey right now but will try and find a jar
as I have a friend with a couple drums and bring when I stop by your place
Kirk. I can also bring a sample of Nebraska Leafy Spurge for the aroma test.

As a beekeeper which sells a bunch of retail honey I can say you will be
amazed at the honey people will prefer when given a sample. Pass over a Blue
Ribbon jar of water white for a jar of off tasting bakery grade. Which is
really what packers call "Buckwheat honey". Buckwheat honey is hard to blend
with  due to the dark color and distinct flavor. Good as a varietal honey
but not a packer favorite for blending
Buckwheat honey could be a beekeeper money maker if enough demand as you can
get a bloom for six weeks when farmed. A honey plant which blooms soon
after coming up and in the south you might could get 6 bloom periods  with
*farming*  for the honey bloom only.

bob