From:
Greg Hankins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 19:35:16 -0600
Had a honey this year that I'd like to I.D. Hope you can help. Here are the
particulars:

The honey is quite dark -- a wide-mouth pint jar appears black; held up to
the light, it's a deep auburn or mohogany (sp?).

Taste is strong but nice, fuity, with an almost sour aftertaste.

I'm in the southern Piedmont of NC, very close to the SC line.

Primary honey plants are white dutch and hop clover, sumac, and tulip poplar.

A very early spring drought suppressed the clover. The flow for this dark
honey appeared to begin in the middle of the tulip poplar flow and continue
once the poplar was done. (Figured this out based on staggered harvest and
looking at the way supers were filled.)

Cotton had not bloomed, so it's not that.

Tobacco was blooming at this time (there's a lot grown around here), but
I'm not aware of any tobacco within 3 miles of the beeyard.

I'm very familiar with "poplar honey" though I think what I've had is
typically mixed with a lighter honey -- either clover here or basswood and
sourwood in the mountains. Is pure tulip poplar nearly black? Or do I have
something else here?

Please speculate, I'm looking for leads.

Greg

Greg Hankins                    Happy Hank's Honey House
[log in to unmask]                 Mt. Gilead, North Carolina