From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 12:51:01 -0500
 Roy Nettlebeck  Fri, 1 Mar 1996 wrote;
> Chalkbrood is a Fungi ( Asophaera apis )  If the larva is chilled to 30
>C from 35 C it is the right temp for the  A. apis to form fruiting
>bodies. I would suspect that dampness has an effect on the hives
>temperature. Damp cold seems to chill more deeply than a dry cold. Honey
>Bee Pathology by Bailey and Ball has seven pages of info if anyone want
>to look at chaulkbrood any further. I have had some chalkbrood in the
>past , but I now leave my lower enterance open 3/8 inch in the winter and
>spring.Maybe the bees can exchange the air with less effort and more
>efficiently. We do not get very cold in western Washington and I like
>tough bees anyway.
>Bottem line David , the book does not address dampness , but I'm with>

To continue this one step further, if I may. If your statement is correct,
and no doubt you're right "Why do we cull the Queen?" That's a bit like
killing the messenger if you don't like the news! This practice has gone on
for years, if you find chalkbrood, then requeen whereas ventilation will fix
the problem! Does anyone want to comment?
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1.*
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks          *