From:
Griggs Mike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:14:20 -0400
The Microsporidia were reclassified in a monumental (and very stiff &
formal) presentation in Nature.  New genetic evidence for
reclassification changed what we call it, increased our understanding
on a genetic basis but does not really change our understanding of
the biology.

I have multiple pdfs supporting the classification change should any
be interested--I do not have the Nature monograph!

Below is a partial abstract which will give you an idea of the tenor
of these articles!

-----------------------------

Congruent evidence from a-tubulin and b-tubulin gene phylogenies for
a zygomycete origin of microsporidia      PatrickJ.Keeling

Abstract

The origin of microsporidia and the evolutionary relationships among
the major lineages of fungi have been examined by molecular phylogeny
using a-tubulin and b-tubulin.  Chytrids, basidiomycetes,
ascomycetes, and microsporidia were all recovered with high support,
and the zygomycetes were consistently paraphyletic.

  The microsporidia were found to branch within zygomycetes, and
showed relationships with members of the Entomophthorales and
Zoopagales.  This provide ssupport for the microsporidia having
evolved from within the fungi...

Mike