Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:10:30 -0400
>>From what is referenced in this link:
>
> http://vir.sgmjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/86/12/3419
>
> ...The visual symptom of deformed wings does not appear in all cases of
> DWV, because it can exist in an  'inapparent infection'.  The symptoms as
> a rule may not, and do not occur in all varroa infestations.  So IMO, it
> would not be reliable indicator of the presence of varroa.

Well, DWV might not be a reliable indicator but the hundreds of varroa on my
bottom board sure are :)  I guess since I don't really remember seeing DWV
prior to varroa I usually associate it with the nasty little pests.   In all
of my occurrences when I see DWV I have always had a heavier than usual mite
fall.  This fall is the heaviest I have ever had.  My record book in front
of me goes back to 1999 ( can't find the older one) and in no year do I have
a mite fall that is this steady.  I currently am still seeing  way more
mites on the bottom board than I should by now.  For 2 days the count
subsided to around 15 in 24hr but then it jumped back up. I'm attributing
this to the cool days.  By now though I would expect the count to be  less
than a dozen. It is still more than I have the time to count between sips of
beer :)  Oh well, be vigilant.

Kent