From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:18:01 -0400
If anyone has bought queens or packages from New Zealand "via Canada",
or knows of anyone who has done this, I'd like an off-list e-mail.

The reason I ask is that the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
(APHIS) is assuming that this not only has happened, but has been common
practice.  You can read their assumptions here
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/pra/honeybees/

The fact that they do not cite specific cases, or provide a number of
queens/packages imported per year makes me wonder if the actual
number has been zero, or very close to zero.

While Bee-L represents only a tiny fraction of beekeepers in any country,
it is a fairly good "random sample", and hence is a valid forum for a survey.

So, let's count, shall we?  Please send any e-mail off-list.