From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2017 05:53:21 -0400
Ari Seppälä snip followed by > my comments and questions..

Eggs emerging in honey boxes above excluder are not evidence.

1. most cases beekeepers missed an second queen.
 are better in this than others.
>I personally think this is the most likely explanation and at least in my own experience is much more common than some folks might think.

But the fact that yellow bees were born in dark bee hive with caged
yellow queen is a proof, if this report is true.
>I think Winston covered this in his book Honeybee Biology in that which end of the egg begins splitting can impact this physical characteristic.  The first time I noted this (and then begin to read and ask around) was when I reared queens from II Cordovans and some small number of workers would show up black and not cordovan 'red'.

Randy presented reports by Winston showing much more eggs emerging in
queen cells in african hives, when there was no access by queen. This
sounds very much like workers making viable eggs.

 From memory I recall a study that in some african races ( capensis) up
to 20 % of bees can produce diploid eggs. in European races only 0,15 -
2 % did the same, but the trait exits, so we can not forget it.
>There are a lot of different 'races' of bees in African.  Was this a scutella or some other variety of African honeybee?

Gene in central Texas