From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2012 13:15:01 -0500
But I am smart enough to see where things are heading

More marginal land used for crops
More monoculture
Less native pollinators
More changes to wildlife
etc, etc, etc

* * *

Actually, there are a lot of organizations working in just the opposite direction.

PARTNERS FOR  SUSTAINABLE POLLINATION  http://pfspbees.org

Pollinator Partnership http://pollinator.org/

The North American Pollinator Protection Campaign (NAPPC)  http://pollinator.org/nappc/
> NAPPC is a growing, collaborative body of more than 120 diverse partners.  Respected scientists, researchers, conservationists, government officials and dedicated volunteers are succeeding with major programs to protect pollinators, to raise pollinator-related issues, and to benefit the health of all species – particularly those most threatened.

Xerces  http://www.xerces.org
The Xerces Society is a nonprofit organization that protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their habitat. For forty years, the Society has been at the forefront of invertebrate protection worldwide, harnessing the knowledge of scientists and the enthusiasm of citizens to implement conservation programs.

Project Apis m. (PAm)  http://www.projectapism.org
-  Enhancing the health of honeybees
-  Improving crop production potential
-  Bee research guided by beekeepers
-  Practical solutions for managed colonies
-  Over $1 million infused into bee research
-  Funded 2 MacArthur Award winners (nicknamed the Genius Grant)
-  Largest non-governmental, non-profit bee research funding organization in the USA
-  Funded by beekeepers and growers

even the EPA

Pollinator-focused Exposure and Toxicity Studies  http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/ecosystem/pollinator/then-now.html

> Currently, EPA requires toxicity studies that look at the acute (short-term) effects of a pesticide on individual bees when they come into contact (dermal) with pesticide residue. We also rely on bee-kill incident reports from government, industry, and public sectors to help us understand the effects of pesticides on bees. EPA may also require long-term studies if a pesticide appears to be very toxic to bees. But we are concerned that scientists may not adequately understand the toxicity and potential exposure to pesticides that pollinators and other wildlife species may experience. To help improve our understanding, EPA is working with researchers from North America, Europe, Australia, and elsewhere to advance this science.

contributed by PLB