From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2015 19:10:24 -0500
> What I read is 50% or more in some sections, at least 10%.

No, the anecdotes of Phillips were simple percentages without any reference
to the number of hives suffering those losses.  The higher losses were
exceptions, or they would have been the subject of considerable comment in
the press of the day.  The good news is that both BC and ABJ have every
issue they ever printed, so one can verify that no such widespread high
losses were reported as anything but sporadic and isolated.

> Almost exactly the same as last winter for the US.

The difference is that entire states are now being surveyed, with
statistically significant (and/or "representative") numbers of both
beekeepers and hives to arrive at the modern numbers.  That's data, not
anecdote.

As an industry, we have to stop comparing data, which we can review and
analyze, with anecdote.  In this case, the anecdotes of Phillips do not seem
to be verifiable as anything other than comments about small and widely
separated incidents.  It also helps to recognize that a state-wide average
is a very different number from a simple number thrown out without any scale
to it at all.

I like quaint old beekeeping books too, but I do not view them as sources of
quantitative  data.  They provide qualitative views only, and rarely
describe any situation even close to modern beekeeping in the "varroa age".

And in a prior post:

> Hug your hives and watch them grow.
> I don't think the world is like that, I think you have to work hard to get
anywhere worth going.

Any belief system that prompts the beekeeper to pay more attention to
his/her hives cannot be all bad.

It might be easy to ridicule and make fun, but it is more productive to
harness the "hug your hive" motivation, and simply point out that after
hugging, one might as well take advantage of the opportunity to do a varroa
drop count, weigh the hive, jot down some notes, and inspect for open
healthy brood, looking in every box, right down to the bottom board.

A large number of hobby beekeepers lack the skills to quickly inspect for
live healthy brood, and I have observed that many novices button up the hive
before they are done, as they have "riled up the bees" by not working
quickly enough.  I run one workshop where all we do is handle empty gear,
just so people can practice going through the motions and become more
efficient - it is beekeeper Tai Chi.

My wife also sings to her hives - that can't hurt, either.  A beekeeper
singing is at least breathing.  I am amazed at how many beekeepers will
actually hold their breath when doing this or that.