Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:35:50 GMT
>>I lost 15 out of 15 in one of my 2 apiaries.

I sincerely thank you for coming out.  Really!  Losses are not
necessarily an indicator of poor beekeeping practices.

Is there anything in your management that you can attribute this loss
to?  I know this is a loaded question and I certainly don't mean to
pick on you.

The 20% loss in your 2nd yard seems a bit high.  Were those losses
analogous with the ones from your other yard?

My colonies, for example, came through just fine but I was a bit
concerned last October when I brought them back from late asters and
saw quite a bit of crystalized stores.  I supplemented with sugar
water and, probably due to the mild winter, the bees did not starve.

Can you elaborate on:

1. The strength & age of the clustering bees in the colonies last
October
2. The amount and quality of stored honey and pollen
3. Cleansing flight frequency (I am south of you)
4. Were the lost bees in the hives or did they disappear altogether

Waldemar