From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 16:07:28 -0500
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

(Referring to  glucose oxidase.)

>I have never seen anything that shows it goes into "food" (pollen?).

Hello Bill,

I did the favor of digging up some references that show that glucose
oxidase is found in pollen “food”.

Reference A:
“…Certain bacteriostatic effects have been demonstrated (Chauvin et al,
1952) but this is attributed to the addition of glucose oxidase (the same
enzyme responsible for most antibacterial action in honey) by the honeybee
when it mixes regurgitated honey or nectar with the pollen (Dustmann and
Gunst, 1982). Therefore, this activity varies between pollen pellets and
is much higher in beebread. A very slight antibacterial effect can also be
detected in pollen collected by hand (Lavie, 1968)….”

Reference B:
“…All amino acids essential to humans (phenylalanine, leucine, valine,
isoleucine, arginine, histidine, lysine, methionine, threonine and
tryptophan) can be found in pollen and most others as well, with proline
being the most abundant. Many enzymes (proteins) are also present but
some, like glucose oxidase which is very important in honey. have been
added by the bees. This enzyme is therefore more abundant in "beebread"
than in fresh pollen pellets….”

>Also it is not a bacterial inhibitor. It is an enzyme that oxidizes
>glucose to gluconolactone which, in turn goes into equilibriums with
>gluconic acid,  the principal acid in honey.

‘GOx’ is a bacteria inhibitor, according to my references.
Please find in ‘Reference C’ a quote concerning the anti bacterial agent
found in honey and pollen known as glucose oxidase or ‘GOx‘.

Reference C:
“The evidence for the existence of other antibacterial factors is mainly
that the peroxide-generating system does not account for all of the
observed antibacterial activity, but there have also been some reports of
isolation of antibacterial substances from honey that are not hydrogen
peroxide. Furthermore, it has been found that heating honey, which
inactivates the glucose oxidase, causes loss of activity against some
species whilst it is retained against others.”

>What "harmful bacteria" are we talking about?

As far as I am aware, researchers have not determined that as of yet and I
won’t make any assumptions here.

They state this on the page I submit as Reference D:

Reference D:
“Other researchers have shown that both harmful and harmless bacteria may
infect the feeding location."
http://www.psu.edu/ur/2005/beemite.html

>The main issue with glucose oxidase in honey is more in its breakdown
>products acting as a preservative to prevent fermentation, especially at
>the honey/air/moisture interface. When honey is "thin" it will ferment

Louis Pasteur made a discovery that fermentation is caused by
a ‘bacteria‘.

> Varroa have nothing to do with it. BTDT.

Not getting what you mean by BTDT?

Joe Waggle
Ecologicalbeekeeping.com
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'