From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 08:48:05 -0800
On Sat, 22 Mar 1997, Barry Birkey wrote:

> Bill Truesdell wrote:
>
> > I and some others think that some of the mite control we get from
> > menthol and even the "oils" used by some comes from the heat generated
> > by the bees to fan out the vapor from the hive. If you look at most of
> > the methods to control mites, especially tracheal, they all involve
> > irritating gasses introduced into the hive.
>
> I thought I'd use this mention of "oils" to bring up the issue of essential oils again. We
> haven't heard much about them on this list ever since their use by some last fall. Is
> there anyone here that used them last fall that would be able to give us a report on
> how things are looking today?

  Hi Barry,

 I used pepermint oil , crisco and honey last fall. I did not do a
control. My bees wintered very well with one down out of 50. It was do to
eating up all the store , when the queen wanted to work all winter.
 There should be caution used on any new methods of mite control.We do not
have enough overall data to go singing in the streets. Tests are being
done to measure any changed in egg laying by the queen.The enviornment
inside the hive is very balanced by the bees.As time goes on Jerry B. will
be collecting some very needed data with his electronic hives.
 I do think oils should be tested more so we can have a safe way to get
the mites, without hurting the Bees.As you can imagin, there is not a lot
of money involved in an oil cure.The system holds back on cheap easy ways
to do things.
 My use of pepermint oil over the use of wintergreen and spearmint was do
to the rate of vapor release.Pepermint is faster and would go away sooner.
 Beekeepers in the US should get a better understanding of Formic acid
before they get into the wholesale use of it on there bees.Killing mites
is not the most important part of what we are doing. We are keeping Bees
and trying to keep them healthy. We can kill mites with chloradane, but
the bees would be gone also. Formic acid is carbondioxide and hydrogen.The
bees control the level of carbondioxide in the brood nest.The pheromones
are organic acids also.The whole idea of formic acids use in a hive is way
out in left field to me.There are too many negative possibilities to even
waist time with it. As all of you know by now, that I'm against formic
acids use in a beehive.If you want some info read Solomons Organic
Chemistry, 5th edition,1992. pages 72-73, 116,761, and 1016. It is a text
book that they are using at the U of Washington right now.You will need
some understanding of chemistry after page 73. I'm not a Chemist but have
turned down two jobs as being one. My oldest just recieved his degree in
Chemistry from th UW. We should be on oils and I'm almost sorry that I
strayed off course.

 Best Regards to All
 Roy