From:
Kathy E Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:54:19 EST
In a message dated 2/24/2004 5:36:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
 FIRST, using little or no smoke, find the queen, and transfer her and the
frame he is on into an empty hive body.
Now, George, that is easier said than done!!! I hardly ever find the queen,
except when I'm not looking for her. Maybe you could give me some suggestions
on the best way to locate the queen?

I hope you are not bent on letting the split raise a new queen on its own. If
so, you are not diversifying the genetics of your bees, and there is a strong
chance that a decent queen will NOT be produced, and further this split will
be in bad
shape before any new progeny is produced.

Yes, George, I am bent on letting the bees make their own queen. I have had a
year of experience doing that and compared to the queen I purchased (and
after 3 weeks the bees superceded her,) I think they will take care of a bad
queen. I took notes last year and determined which hives had the best queen (laying
pattern, no swarming, honey production and gentleness,) and I used that stock
to requeen.

As for diversifying, I think that happens when I bring back swarms.

You would be SO MUCH BETTER OFF to spend $10-$12 and buy a new queen from
some local California queen breeder. I am much aware that some readers are going
to DISAGREE with me, and I don't give a damn; but allowing your bees to raise
a new queen for a split rather than furnishing a new queen 24 hours after the
split is about as archaic as your grandmother's bustle, or the Wright Brothers
flight at Kitty Hawk, or Henry Fords Model T.

So, I disagree with you on this point, however, I reserve the right to change
my opinion at any time???!!! LOL

Kathy Cox, Bloomfield Bees and Bouquets
Northern California, Italian, 15 hives
www.kathycox.frankcox.net