From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2012 13:44:01 -0400
> As for the  Binomial nomenclature Apis mellifera, does it not adequately
> cover all of the sub-species from A. m. adamii through Apis mellifera
> mellifera to A. m. unicolor?

What about the other species of Apis?   Apis dorsata is hunted for honey
across Asia, and frequently it would be possible to make a valid claim
about it's organic status.

Apis florea is also hunted for honey.

Apis cerana is kept by beekeepers, and hive numbers in Asia must be very
substantial.

There are even other non apis bees from which honey is harvested, members
of the melipona family such as various trigona species.

I would think that the definition of honey is that it is a sweet substance
produced by bees from nectar or honeydew.  I do not know why the E U would
discriminate on the basis of bee species.

Stan