From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2014 19:15:12 +0200
After listening presentations of preliminary reports of studies in
Sweden and Finland I decided to write a short summary

Both countries set up a study by placing bees near rapeseed fields
treated with neonicotinoid seed dressing (clotianinidid) and control
field without seed treatment. 5-6 hives by each field.

In both countries new colonies were made for same strength, they were
kept on same apiarys before going to test fields and they were returned
to same apiarys after the rapeseed flowering. Residues (bees, nectar,
pollen) were monitored. All treated fields gave residues that were
detected, almost all lower than reported causing any detectable effects
for bees in lab.

Finland had problems finding a rapeseed field without residues as all
conventional seed is treated. Bees were flying to nearby fields from
control untreated ones. But Swedes were luckier as seed treatments are
not needed in southern Sweden (no beetle problems) so all nearby fields
were without treatments.  Sweden had 8 pairs of fields with / without
treatments. Average size of field 8 hectars. Bee hives near untreated
field in Sweden had some residues but amounts were 10-fold or more
smaller.  Residues from treatments were at the same level in both
countries. In both countries no detected differences for bees in
different treatments. Wintering is not over yet, so final we see later,
but so far nothing.

Swedes placed also bumblebees and solitary bees into the fields. There
is not yet results from bumblebees. But solitary bee (osmia sp, don’t
remember which exact)  results were striking. They did not reproduce at
all near treated fields but did so at untreated ones.

So, for most of us the results for bees is no surprise, but Swedish
experiment is biggest and best done that I know this far. 8 pairs, 8 ha
average fields, this in real life situation at least around here.

But the solitary bees not reproducing is major news and will be a big
headache for companies selling the chemicals. I can easily see the
banning of certain neonics in EU based on these results alone. And this
opens the door for looking other solitary bees, there is close 100
species so most likely there is many other that  react to neonics easier
than honeybees.

Sorry I have no links to studies as they are not published yet. But you
will hear about the Swedish study for sure so keep your eyes open. I
supposed it should be published later this year.

Ari Seppälä
beekeeping advicer
Finland