From:
"David.Meldrum" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:54:59 -0400
For me the most complete explanation of Bee stings appeared in the Aug &
Sept 2006 ABJ by Buddy Marterre, MD.   The first part goes into all the
chemistry while the second part talks about treatment.  The biggest take
aways for me were:

1.  People can be roughly divided into three categories:

   I  People who get stung, feel temporary pain which disappears after a
few minutes.
   II People similar to category I but additionally suffer from itching and
      swelling for a few days after the sting.
   III People who suffer from systemic anaphylaxis shock.
   People can move from one category to another category.

2.  "... this implies that half the beekeepers who have large local
reactions might benefit from immediate administration of a leukotriene
inhibitor (Singulair or Accolate), where as the other half would benefit
from anti-histamines (Benadryl, Allegra, Claritan, Zyrtec) before or
immediately after the sting"

After reading the article I switched to Singulair when stung, and have
not had any appreciable swelling since.  Previously I was taking
Benadryl with no relief.

Dave Meldrum
Andover, Ma.