From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:04:05 EDT
Adding to the issues - it always pays to read the original sources.   We've
heard that Dwindling Disease and Disappearing Disease date back to the  turn of
the century.

I recently pulled my 1945 ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture from the shelf and
re-read the disease section.  And, its interesting.

Spring Dwindling disease was not considered to be the same as Disappearing
Disease.    It was defined as a malady affecting adult  bees.  Specifically
"Unless there has been a very severe winter, spring  dwindling is the result of
ignorant or careless management".  It is often  accompanied by dysentery.

Disappearing Disease is described as a malady similar to Acarapis  disease.
It was distinguished from Acarapis by two symptoms:

1)  Unlike Acarapis disease, Disappearing Disease "disappears in  from ten
days to two weeks".  Acarapis disease will "continue  indefinitely until the
colony succombs".

2) In Acarapis disease, sick bees with disjointed wings "in front of the
hive run like crickets, apparently in great distress.

Clearly, the definitions have changed.

Jerry

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.