From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2012 14:35:27 -0400
According to the recent summation below, the behavior of Apis cerana accounts for the difference in mite infestation levels between cerana and mellifera, and no doubt between small cell and large cell bees (ie., African and European). Not the cell size. Obviously, if bees are yanking the mites out of most of the cells, the mites cannot build up very easily. It happens that A. cerana tends to ignore the mites on drone brood, so the mites use that to their advantage. But in A. mellifera some lines tend to be slack on pulling out the mites wherever they are, while others are more diligent. Also, it appears to me that smaller colonies have the brood nest under better control that large ones, as a general thing. Work by Harbo suggests that very large colonies are not optimal for anything except producing large honey crops. For raising brood, small to moderate colonies raise more brood per bee, and may be more hygienic in addition.