From:
"Gary C. Lewis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:35:16 -0800
Hell-o Bee Folks,
   American Bee Journal has a special subscription rate for the month of
January. Normal rate is $19.25 per year. This month it is $12.75. Just
thought I would pass this on for those that might be interested.
   Has been warm here for the past week or so and my bees are flying.
They are not getting far as they chill down in flight and melt into the
snow. I checked a few of the fallen bees and found no sign of mites but
I guess that really doesn't mean much.
   I also cleaned out the bottom boards and have found very few dead
bees. Perhaps a hundred or so in both hives. I also did a quick check in
both hives and they are very strong, found brood and eggs in one. None
in the other but didn't keep the hive open long so there may be brood in
that one also.
   Food stores seem to be ok at this time. I think I may have to feed
before to long. We have not really had an extended cold spell here in
this part of Pa. It was warm into December, turned cold around the first
day of winter and has been warm for the past week and looks to be warm
for a least another week. At the rate they are going and the large pop-
ulations in both hives has me concerned as to how long the stores will
last. I don't want to start feeding to soon but I don't want them to
starve either.
   That's it from Pa. for now. I would like to know how others in the
northeast US are holding up. Anyone else having the same conditions and
concerns? What is your game plan?

Gary C. Lewis
Duke Center,
Pennsylvania.