From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 13:29:37 -0600
> Jim said: "if Peter were to use and check sticky boards on all his
> hives weekly, it would consume a full 8-hour workday every week!!"
>
> Yes,  agreed, which is why sticky boards are such a clumsy method and
> a simpler method is needed.  Permanent plastic wipe-clean trays under
> permanent mesh floors take say 15 to 30 seconds

This debate is possibly the answer to the original question: why don't
most beekeepers routinely sample natural mite drops?

People think it is too difficult, time consuming, technical, and that it
needs too much equipment, and no matter how it is done, someone will say
it's done incorrectly, to much, too little, too accurately, too
casually, or with the wrong method or equipment.

The point that needs to be made is this: any test is better than none,
and it only takes a few minutes to make the first Mickey Mouse (tm) try
at it.

After that, maybe debating the details and different methods, timing,
sample rates, counting procedures. meaning of results and whether to
multiply by 30 or 300, etc. etc. etc.  may be useful,

BUT

Hey, everyone, if you have never done this, grab a sheet of something
stiff and white. right now, and smear it with vaseline, cooking oil, Pam
(tm) or whatever, find a screen of some sort, and stick it into your
hive entrance.

You'll be glad you did.  Count the mites you see and multiply by 100.
If the number is more than 1,000, then look for help.  Post the details
of what you found (and where you live etc.) here for comment, if you
wish, or should I say, dare.

After that, then try to figure out all the technicalities.

(Hey you guys in Aus can do this too).

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/
Today, I'm the best equipped hobby beekeeper in this universe.  25 hives
left, period. 5 trucks, a Swinger, 4- 72 frame extractors, a wax press,
5,000 supers, 2,500 gallons of syrup, and more...