From:
L M SMITH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 16:06:43 -0500
Hi,

My husband and I have had an observation hive for a year now, we keep it
for apitherapy purposes.  We are learning more and more about beekeeping
and have read several books about it.
Our hive has swarmed three times in the past three weeks.  We caught the
first swarm and installed it successfully in an outdoor hive and today
we caught another one in a swarm box.  We don't have another hive, so we
are scrambling like crazy to get one.  We weren't  prepared for this,
obviously.  Can anyone tell me why we are getting so many swarms?  Does
it appear likely we may lose our observation colony?  It sounds to me
like they don't like it there. I just sent for the ABC book cause I know
we need to do more research.  I really want to get out there and work
with the bees, but I have recently been confined to a wheelchair and
because of the illness, we have let a lot of things go.  Unfortunately,
the bees were one of them.
Any advice would be welcomed.  I really need to keep at least the
observation hive for my apitherapy, but would love to do the other kind
too. I know we need to do more work with them if we expect good results.

thanks,

Lois Smith