From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:14:55 -0400
Lloyd Spear wrote:
> One researcher, Zachary Huang, at Michigan State, has not
> given up ...

Good point Lloyd.  I had forgotten Zach's work.  He was at EAS at MMA
showing his "Mite Zapper", which relies on wires through the drone brood
which are electrified to heat (fry!) the varroa (and the drone brood) .  The
wires also melt the comb and it didn't look like a method that would lend
itself to repeated use.  However, Zachary was hitting the vendor tent
seeking someone willing to incorporate his experiment in plastic, which
would better withstand the heated wires.  Certainly an interesting project
and I wish him success.

Regarding the original issue, the abandoned techniques involved heating the
entire hive.  I believe the work was being done in Germany, and I may be
incorrect that it has been abandoned.  Seems some "cobble" minded sort could
work up some sort of solar arrangement to affect the heating.  But there is
still the problem of achieveing a temperature high enought to kill the
varroa yet low enough not to kill the bees.  I don't recall the exact
temperatures, but they wer withing only a few degrees.

Aaron Morris - thinking Man, it's hot in here!