From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 15:55:26 +0000
Most of my opinions are similar to those who answered this post already,
but I would caution you to use pure granulated, not powdered, sugar.
Powdered sugar contains cornstarch, which is definitely of no use to
honey bees.

If Terramycin is given in powdered form rather than in patties, it would
be necessary to mix it with powdered sugar, or it would separate from
the mixture when applied.  In my opinion, however, this method of
application is poor in comparision to the patty method for these
reasons:
1) if the powder gets into brood cells with young brood, it can kill
them.
2) when the powder gets onto adult bees, it drives them nuts and
sometimes into a stinging frenzy
3) if the powder is not used immediately (such as when it ends up in
deep piles on the top boards - not recommended) the Terramycin goes bad
and the whole mess stays there until on a future visit it is scraped off
by the beekeeper and thus wasted.