Date:
Mon, 28 May 2012 09:10:27 -0400
Randy wrote-

> This was a legitimate criticism, so I reviewed the details of the study.
>  The authors used two dosages: 24 ppb and 241 ppb.
>
> Reality check is that typical measured doses in nectar are rarely over 4
> ppb, and typically much lower.
>
> And, as noted, the "Harvard" study required ramping up the dose to get any
result.

If you step back and look at these studies, what you find is that the nics
are fairly benign after all.

To go 10x (24) and 100x (241ppb) what is found naturally and only get
confusion, rather than death, is significant. Same with the Harvard study.
In essence, the studies that require unnatural levels that still do not
kill bees points more to the safety of the neonics, rather than the harmful
effects, exactly the opposite of what the studies concluded.

So far, what I have garnered from this whole issue is that there are corn
planters that kick up too much dust and that does kill bees. But other
planters that are designed not to kick up dust do not kill bees. So keep
bees in, just as we do with any pesticide, when planting if the planters
are a problem. Especially since nothing much seems to happen after the
planting is complete.

Otherwise, in the rest of the neonic world, not much is happening to
honeybees except in unnatural studies.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine