From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2011 14:22:04 -0500
?PLB said:
> Plenty of scientific studies are pure crap and the world would be even
> more chaotic that it is, were it not for deep thinkers.

I think when sound science is applied all scientific studies are useful.
Most reading studies can make up their own mind about if the study was done
correctly with controls etc.

The problem I have many times is with the conclusions put forth by those
running the studies. In some cases the conclusions are set in the minds of
the researcher and the study is made to fit his/her preconceived
conclusions. Opinions on the research by the persons doing the research is
important but many times I have trouble coming to the same conclusion even
after reading the study through a couple times.  Many studies simply *in my
opinion* raise more questions than they answer.

I like to look at studies which say "we were surprised to discover" or "what
we discovered was a bit different then what we expected to find"

Randy Oliver studies reflect the above.

As a backyard type bee researcher I always find most tests end different
than I would have guessed before starting.

Always wonder what effect queens and colony differences play in the results.

bob