From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2011 08:20:29 +1000
>We established seven pairs of equal-size colonies that started out equally
>infested with mites. In each pair, one hive contained only standard-cell
>(5.4 mm) comb, and the other contained only small-cell (4.8 >mm) comb. We
>measured the colonies' mite loads at monthly intervals across a summer. No
>differences arose between the two treatment groups in their mean mite loads
>(mites per 100 worker bees or >mite drop per 48 h).

At the outset let me say I am no small cell advocate.  I am just curious.  I
have tried to establish small cell hives but they will not draw the
foundation (plastic) properly.  "Normal" burr comb over the foundation.

I note that the measurements were only taken over one summer.  I have seen
other work that also is on this short time frame.  Are there any studies
that have been kept going for say 2 or 3 years?

I note it says they measured mite loads but there is no reference to
reproduction in the cells.  Does the fact that there is varroa in the hive
mean it was reproduced in that hive?  Were cells examined to see how
reproduction was taking place in both types?

Does a hive with small cells have more bees than one with "normal" cells?
If so then a figure of mites per 100 bees would give a false figure.  It
should be mites as a percentage of the number of bees in the hive.

Again with mite drop were these mites reproduced in that hive.  Could the
mites have come in from other hives?

With both types of cell types in the same yard, could there be movement of
varroa from one type to another type?

Again let me say I am no advocate of small cell.  I am looking at the
research to try to establish a point of view one way or the other.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA
(where thankfully we don't have varroa but we are getting ready for it as
they tell us it is not "if" but "when")