Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:43:40 -0400
> Why do you feed your bees? I haven't fed mine for years and very rarely
> lose a colony due to starvation.  If I do lose one, then I blame Darwin!

I never feed in the fall when I have established colonies. This year is
different with two new colonies (package and nuc) and several dry periods.
I do not want to let the bees overwinter on fall nectar so am feeding sugar
syrup so they can get through he winter with fewer problems.

Here in Maine you really do not want the bees to overwinter with high ash
honey. If you have a mild winter, like last year, there is no problem since
there is plenty of opportunity for cleansing flights. From all I have
heard, this winter will be more typical, which means good luck on any
flights until February, if that. With high ash content honey, that means
dysentery is highly probable. The feeding is preventative.

The way to keep our regions high ash content out of the hive is to harvest
in late July and put an inner cover below the harvested supers. Then pull
those supers in September which will be mostly fall honey. This is George
Imire's method and it works. Plus you get the best honey of the year.
Granulates in a hearbeat, but wonderful taste.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine