From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2010 22:17:35 -0500
> In Australia we don't use Fumagilin.

Not quite true as fumagilin is allowed and used in the package bee industry
but as Geoff says not allowed in hives used for honey production.

I will also add that nosema is considered by most Australian beeks as a
minor issue. Once varroa arrives the opinions on nosema ceranae will change
like Dave says I am afraid.

I will say that once I worked through the nosema spore issues ( drenching &
disinfecting equipment)  in my bees and fought to keep varroa levels low I
see nosema now as under control. I still will feed some fumagillin in syrup
this fall but no drench will be needed.We are feeding bees this week and
EVERY hive had emptied their feed from last week. When you see a strong hive
today go off feed I suggest you do a spore count in the U.S. as in my
opinion a sure sign of a hive with high level nosema ceranae.

A very large California outfit and I worked through our nosema issues at the
same time and he went back to feeding fumigillin last year in syrup and has
not needed the drench. Not sure if he is still disinfecting dead out
equipment.

Nosema is basically viewed as a
> beekeeper induced problem.

interesting . Please explain?