From:
T'N'T Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:20:32 -0700
If you have the room you can add a hose reel.   They can be salvaged off old
fuel delivery trucks or some of the fire units (usually those which were set
up for fighting grass fires). My neighbors is electric, but ours just takes
a few cranks.  Pump & reel can be attached on the same pallet. Ours is under
a 5 ft drift or I would supply a photo.

I know it was stated twice, but I think it can't be emphasised enough that
you should want to use "trash" pumps.  They are slightly more money, but
make a huge difference when it comes to trouble free operation.

>Do you have any issues with cold temps and
>the syrup being too stiff to pump in the fall?

I would be very reluctant to throw out a broad statement here.  I know there
are some pretty funky high fructose blends that beekeepers get their hands
on.  The outfit I worked for in California had one that became like creamed
honey at room temp. The heat of the bees was enough to liquify it.  It was
fantastic for baby nucs (because you didn't drowned bees when you dumped
them initially), but a real pain in the @#$ when some was accidently left in
a truck tank (fortunately in those days tanks was metal and could withstand
a blow torch).

In our case, we use liguid sucrose @ 67.5 BRIX.  We have circulated the bulk
tank using a 3" Honda trash pump at 0C (32F).  We cut it 10% to feed and
have moved that at -5/6C (20-23F) with a 2" trash pump. Definitely slower
than when temps are warmer, but still moves it along at a pretty good clip.

David Tharle
Ardmore, AB
Canada

After nearly a solid month of -25C to -40C, we may be heading to 0C for the
weekend, yahoo!!