From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 23:44:52 -0500
Hello All,
Bob Walker of Sebring ,Florida  did the following post Fathers day on the
Florida Beekeepers list  I belong to. I liked the post so well I asked Bob
to let me run the post on BEE-L and he agreed.

I had a old beekeeper I used to pick up and take to the bees until he
crossed over so the post hit home with me.

Bob wrote:
I have a BEEKEEPER EMERITUS  friend that I learned about from a newspaper
article written about him. He will be 100 years young in October, I pick him
up every once in awhile at the nursing home where he lives with his wife and
bring him to my beeyard to see his beloved bees. Ostensibly for his pleasure
but in reality to pick his still very active brain. He boasts of more than
80years in beekeeping. He doesn't get around too good so I let him sit in my
airconditioned van and pull up near a hive and let him inspect  the frames
with bees. Although he wants me to lower the window , I insist on leaving
it up for fear he has probabbly lost any immunity that he might have had . I
tell him I don't want the bees in my car. Even so , he is just a few inches
from his beloved bees.

HE TALKS TO BEES AND THEY RESPOND TO HIM. I asked him  why is it that
sometimes I can do anything I want  with my bees and they just act like I am
not even there. But there are times when it seems they are just waiting  at
the ready to attack as soon as I open the hive. Time of day and colors of my
clothes doesn't seem to make a difference.

*100 year old beekeeper talking to Bob*

He says they tell him its because they might  just not be feeling  well at
the time, maybe they picked up some insecticide somewhere  and are about to
die, maybe they have been fighting with a beetle ,an ant or some  other hive
invader. They were probabbly having a problem  before I got there and were
just looking  for a fight with whatever   might come   along   that
disturbs them further.

Bob Walker wrote:
Do we have  anyone around with more experience that can refute this 100
years of beekeeping experience?

I have only slightly over 40 years of beekeeping experience and  the old
beekeeper seems right on to me.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

"Happy Fathers Day".