From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:34:21 -0500
Bob said "I am worried when I
get my new bees and place them in a box with 10 new Pierco frames they won't
take to them.  I have heard to spray all the frames with sugar water,
however I am not convenced that this is going to work."

Well...it probably won't work, but only because it is the wrong time of year
unless you are in the southern part of the country.

To draw any new frames, Pierco or otherwise, you need a very strong honey
flow, which you probably don't have.  Moreover, as a new beekeeper, I don't
think you should rely on such a flow in any case.  You should feed your
bees.

Get a five gallon bucket, your Home Depot or hardware store has one.  Fill
it with 25 pounds of table sugar.  Add very hot water to the top.  Stir with
a drywall mixer in a 1/2" drill.  If you don't have such a tool and don't
want to buy one, still do the same, but do just five pounds of sugar at a
time and mix with a stick.  Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to retard mold.

Take your five gallon bucket to your beehive.  Dip the frames into the
bucket and then put them in the hive.  Don't do this more than a few hors
before you put the bees in the hive.

To feed your bees, I recommend you buy a hive top feeder.  While they are
expensive, it will last you a lifetime with just a little care.  If you
don't want to spend that much, buy a division board feeder.  Either "wood"
or plastic.  If working with a hive top feeder, fill it half-way.  If a
division board feeder, fill it to the top.  Check after three full days, if
empty refill.  If not empty, wait until empty, checking each day if
necessary.  If using a hive top feeder, you can fill it to the top when the
hive is strong enough to empty a half-filled feeder in three days.

The bees will draw the center combs first.  Start with 10 frames in the
hive.  When four are filled, move a frame from the far end into the center.
When that is filled, repeat (at the same time, the bees will be working on
frames adjacent to the center frames).

When you have at least eight frames filled, remove one filled frame.  Try to
select one without any brood or eggs.  Use that frame for your next hive
body or save it as a spare.  If you leave it in a shady place for a couple
of days, the bees will rob all the honey/sugar out of it.

Put the top on the five gallon paid tight, and leave it by the hive.  You
will need it all, and may well need 10 gallons!

Good luck,
Lloyd
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds(tm).  The finest in comb honey production.
http://www.rossrounds.com