From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2013 16:00:09 +0000
> One striking aspect of the defensive behavior of honey bees is that smoke dramatically reduces the defensive reaction elicited by a given level of dis- turbance. This fact has been known since prehis- tory (Crane 1983), and the use of smoke is a well-established beekeeping practice.
>
> Smoke greatly reduced the nest-defense attacks of yellowjackets and bumblebees. This effect was previously undescribed. In our studies, the number of attacking insects was reduced 94% for yellowjackets and 85% for bumblebees in comparison with controls during the 1st min after agitation.
>
> When disturbed, yellowjacket wasps, epiponine wasps (Jeanne 1981), bumble bees, and honey bees all seem to have an innate response, which involves directing their attacks against dark-colored, as opposed to light-colored objects. This behavior may have its significance partly in focusing attack on the most vulnerable parts of vertebrate intruders: its eyes and nostrils. Alternatively, dark forms may simply be more easily perceived.
>
> The presence of smoke may act on several of the above responses at once, and may act at several different stages. In species with chemical alarm recruitment, it probably would interfere with the perception of these signals, as it does in honey bees (Visscher et al. 1995).

P. KIRK VISSCHER AND RICHARD S. VETTER (1995) Smoke and Target Color Effects on Defensive Behavior In Yellowjacket Wasps and Bumble Bees

* * *

If you imagine that the primary insect sense is odor, not light as with us, then you can also imagine the effect of clouds of smoke would be analogous to having a bright light shined in your eyes. This would be extremely disorienting for as long as it lasted, and for some time afterwards.